Meetup.com explains that it is the “world’s largest network of local groups” with the mission to revitalize local community and help people around the world to self-organize. With over 15 million members, over 140k groups is a great tool to reach out to local audience and promote local events. It is also a great opportunity to network and connect with people that have a shared goal, characteristic or interest.
We have compiled a list of meetup groups that you should join if you are in Washington, D.C., Maryland or Virginia:
- DC Tech Meetup (+8,000 members) – With over 8,000 members, the DC Tech meetup brings together, technologists, entrepreneurs, investors and other innovators to “learn and share.” Each month over 800 innovators gather to see demos, product launches and meet potential co-founders, partners and funders.
- DC Lean Startup Circle (+2,000 members) – Based on the Lean Startup methodology coined by Eric Ries, the DC Lean Startup Circle description explains the group is “not a general entrepreneurship, networking or professional meetup group.”
- DC Nightowls (+1,400 members) – An after hours community of “self-starters” that are looking to take ideas and make them happen.
- Tech Breakfast (+4,000 members) – This monthly breakfast in Baltimore, Columbia, DC and NoVA where entrepreneurs, techies, developers, designers, business people and others congregate to see new technology and interact. Each TechBreakfast starts at 8:00 AM and goes until 10:00AM. It’s also free.
- DC-MD Small Business Owner Networking (+2,000 members) – DC-MD Small Business Owner Networking offers business related networking meetings and workshops for Entrepreneurs and Small Business Owners throughout the DC & Baltimore Metropolitan areas (DC, Howard, Montgomery, Prince George’s, Anne Arundel County & Baltimore).
- DC Young Entrepreneurs (+700 members) – DCYE is a networking and educational organization for young entrepreneurs located around DC. The Meetup has events such as Fireside Chats, happy hours, Business Book Clubs and co-working sessions.
- Femworking (+230 members) – Femworking is dedicated to building teams of entrepreneurs.
- Productcamp (+500 members) – ProductCamp DC is a series of community organized gatherings focused on product related topics. Professionals interested in designing, building, launching and marketing great products gather to learn from one another and share their experiences.
- Tech in Motion (+1,500 members) – Tech in Motion is broad by design, the goal of this group is to be interactive and allow technology enthusiasts to learn from other professionals, have questions answered in real-time, discover new tech, and hear stories that inspire. This group is a place for technology professionals who wouldn’t normally cross paths to meet, collaborate, and learn about what their peers are doing across the city.
- Social Entrepreneurs & Changemakers, D.C., Networking (+3,500 members) – Please come and team up with other changemakers and social entrepreneurs looking for partners! It will be fun and stimulating!
- Startup Grind (+1,100 members) Startup Grind is an event series and website designed to help educate, inspire, and connect local entrepreneurs. Each month we welcome an amazing speaker who shares their story with our community and tells us what worked, what didn’t, and what they’ll do differently next time. It’s an amazing opportunity to learn from the best, network with other members of the startup community, and improve your chances of entrepreneurial success.
Do you have a favorite Meetup group you attend that we missed? Would love to hear it in the comments below!